Se Habla Español
facebook linkedin youtube

5 situations that may require changes to child custody arrangements

 Posted on November 10, 2020 in Child Custody

As you move through the divorce process, a large portion of your attention will turn toward child custody, visitation schedules, parenting agreements and related subject matter.

While your child custody arrangement may have worked at first, there’s no guarantee this will hold true until your children reach the age of 18.

Here are five situations that can lead to changes to your current child custody arrangement:

  • Physical relocation: For example, if the custodial parent is moving out of state, the non-custodial parent may be able to request a child custody modification.
  • Refusal to follow the terms and conditions of the arrangement: Both parents should have a clear idea of the details associated with the child custody arrangement. Refusal to follow these terms can result in a modification.
  • One parent is no longer capable of living up to their end of the arrangement: For instance, if your ex-spouse has physical custody and an illness is making it difficult for them to raise your children, a modification may be necessary.
  • Your children are in danger: This is among the most serious situations, so taking immediate action is a must. Examples include an ex-spouse who is physically or verbally abusive or has a substance abuse problem.
  • Your children’s needs have changed: As your children age, so do their personal wants and needs. And as that happens, your child custody arrangement may no longer suit them. Have age appropriate conversations with your children regarding matters of child custody. For example, as your children close in on the age of 18, they may begin to realize their other parent is treating them in an inappropriate manner.

These are the types of situations that may have you rethinking your current child custody arrangement.

If you strongly believe that a change is in the best interest of you and your children, review your current arrangement to ensure that you fully understand its conditions. Once you do this, you can file the necessary paperwork with the court. Should they agree that a change is necessary, move through the legal process until you have a new arrangement in place.

Share this post:
Back to Top