For couples who parent a child with special needs, divorce is often much different than it is for other couples. These parents face the same divorce challenges that other couples face along with many additional considerations related specifically to their special needs child. The age of the child does not matter because many people with special needs will remain dependent on others throughout their lives.
These considerations can be challenging for parents as well as family law attorneys. However, you should know that it is possible to get a divorce and meet your child’s needs as well. Divorces involving children with special needs will benefit from having a lawyer who understands the situation.
Our Texas-based law firm has personal experience with special needs children. As such, we understand how important it is to keep the best interests of the child at the forefront throughout divorce and other family law issues. Some of the challenges parents with special needs may face in divorce include the following.
- Supporting the child financially even through adulthood
- Child custody, guardianship of the child and parental access or visitation
- Long-term care planning to protect and provide for the child throughout his or her life
- Establishing trusts and other estate planning documents that will not interfere with government benefit programs
- Taking special medical and treatment expenses into consideration
We know that it can be frightening to contemplate the future as a single parent of a special needs child. We urge you to seek support and advocacy for yourself and for your child. You can learn more about these and other family law issues by visiting our firm’s legal website.