It is a given that if you are getting a divorce, then you want a good and effective attorney on your side. Unfortunately, it is all too easy to find negative articles across the internet focusing on the worst practices of a divorce attorney. This is unfortunate for those getting divorced as it can discourage them from making the right decisions during this difficult time. It is just as unfortunate for effective divorce lawyers who may suffer from these articles as well.
If you are wondering what makes one divorce lawyer better than another, we suggest that you research your options before you choose an attorney. Remember that just as in your other relationships you will want an attorney with whom you are compatible. This means paying attention to your comfort and communication levels during your initial consultations.
As far as what best practices to look for in a divorce lawyer, we offer you the following examples.
- Thoroughly explaining all aspects of your divorce
- Communicating with you about existing and new developments
- Preparing you for all hearings, procedures and meetings
- Consistently addressing your questions about divorce
- Making suggestions to help reduce conflict as well as court appearances
- Personally handling important elements of your divorce
- Listening carefully to your concerns
We want to urge you to dispel your fears about ending up with a “bad” divorce lawyer. By choosing not to hire an attorney based on these fears, you could risk a negative outcome in your divorce. If you want additional examples of divorce lawyer best practices, see our divorce web page. We offer advice and counsel to residents in the San Antonio region.