Family Law
Child Support
Child Support Collections
Child Custody

Child Support FAQ

Excellence In Handling Divorce, Child Support And Financial Matters

We are San Antonio child support attorneys Megan, Brandon and Karen. At MARVEL & WONG, PLLC, we are committed to excellence in handling child support cases and other family law matters.

Here are some general answers to commonly-asked questions about child support:

How much do I have to pay in child support?

The amount of child support you have to pay depends on how many children you have a duty to support and your net resources. Check out the Texas child support guidelines chart to find out how much child support you should be paying or receiving.

I can’t afford to pay or owe child support, what can I do?

While you always have an obligation to provide child support, even if you are not working, it is possible to reduce the amount of child support you have to pay. In certain instances, you can file for a modification to reduce your child support obligation to align with your changed financial circumstances. If you owe child support, there are certain facts that can decrease the amount of child support owed. Additionally, payment arrangements can often be negotiated.

How can I get my ex to pay more child support?

Just as your ex can ask the court to lower the child support obligation, you can ask the court to increase the child support obligation by filing a modification. The amount of child support your ex has to pay is based on his income. A person’s income often increases over time, which can make him subject to a modification. Additionally, the court can modify the child support obligation if the circumstances of the child or person affected by the order have materially and substantially changed.

How long do I have to wait to modify the child support I receive?

The court can modify the child support obligation, including health-care coverage, if (1) the circumstances of the Obligor (person who pays child support) have materially and substantially changed; or (2) it has been 3 years since the last Order AND the amount of the child support award would differ by either 20% or $100 from the amount that should be paid pursuant to the child support guidelines.

Is the child support awarded always set by the child support guidelines?

Not necessarily, a Texas court can consider other factors to set child support above or below the child support guidelines. Here are a few examples the court can consider: the age of the child, costs incurred to exercise visitation, and extraordinary health or education expenses for the child.

I am owed child support, what can I do?

An attorney can assist you in a variety of ways when attempting to collect unpaid child support. The most common way is through wage withholding. However, it is also possible to freeze bank and retirement accounts, place the nonpaying parent in jail for failure to pay child support, and sell real and personal property after obtaining a judgment for unpaid child support.

My children are no longer minors; can I still collect unpaid child support?

Yes. In Texas, there are no time limitations to collect unpaid child support. You can collect any unpaid child support even if your children are 20, 30, or 40+ years old.

Contact Us For Answers

Talk to an experienced San Antonio child support attorney. Contact us, child support lawyers Megan, Brandon and Karen about your specific concerns.

This page does not (and is not intended to) provide legal advice. Content on this web site does not (and is not intended to) create an attorney-client relationship.

What Our Clients Say

Ms. Marvel has assisted me regarding child support issues for the last 3 years. She is very knowledgeable in child support issues in Texas and also across state lines such as California. She came highly recommended to me by a fellow attorney, the highest compliment she can receive in my opinion. She is professional, responsive and gets the job done. Her staff is very helpful, returns calls and Karen and her staff are responsive to issues that arise. I highly recommend Karen Marvel to anyone seeking a family law attorney in Texas.
Karen Marvel is an excellent family lawyer, who presented at a legal conference I attended. I learned valuable information and tools from her that I now use to help my own clients. After the conference, I've called on her a few times when I needed her expertise in child support matters, and she was always willing to help. She is extremely well-respected in our legal community, and I highly recommend her services.
I recently hired Megan to represent me in my divorce. She was very easy to work with, responsive, and efficient. I was extremely impressed with her timeliness and was overall very pleased with her work. I would recommend her if looking for a divorce attorney...
I was very pleased with Megan's performance in court. She has been a blessing in our lives and single handedly changed our lives for the better . It was a very difficult case on my end and was brilliant with negotiations with OAG. I will always be grateful to Megan and wish the best of luck in future cases...
When I needed a lawyer I asked my coworkers for their recommendations. Three of my coworkers recommended Brandon Wong and they were very satisfied with his services. I contacted Brandon and he handled my divorce in a timely and efficient manner...
I have felt so important to Brandon since the day we first met. I had a million questions and worries, Brandon made me feel informed of all possibilities and confident in him.
Meeting you and having your professional and emotional help during the process of my divorce has definitely been invaluable. In the professional aspect, you are not only a brilliant attorney but you are reasonable, just, and fair. During the process of my divorce I found myself completely...
Brandon represented me in a child custody matter. He is professional, educated, informative and provided his services in an economical manner. He worked to obtain a settlement outside of the courtroom. When the case required a visit to court, his experience guided me through smoothly and ultimately delivered the decision in my favor...
Please don't hesitate to hire Brandon Wong. He genuinely cares about his clients. He protects his clients, he returns calls and e-mails, which is critical when you are in a situation where you need an attorney...
I would recommend Mr. Wong for his professional services. He was very attentive to my case, returning phone calls and emails before the end of every business day...
Brandon handled my divorce in a first class manner. He was always available to talk when I had questions or needed advice. He was a relentless lawyer and ensured that the settlement was fair and just...
I highly recommend Mr. Wong if you are looking for an honest and hardworking attorney who is more interested in properly representing his clients than making a quick dollar...
We received excellent legal help from Brandon Wong. Our family had a custody issue that had us spinning our wheels for a year due to the complexity. Brandon handled our case quickly and with heart. We felt genuinely cared for during the entire process and will continue to recommend him to anyone who needs legal help...
Brandon handled my divorce and made it easier than I could have imagined. He took care of everything, totally minimized the stress on me, and was extremely professional while remaining very approachable and compassionate...
Hired Mr. Wong to represent me on a child-support arrears enforcement case. Dad was ordered to pay child-support in 1991, and up until my daughter turned 18 years of age...

Read All Client

Accolades & Achievements

Brandon, Karen, Megan Are Proud To Have Achieved The Following Legal Accolades for Exemplary Legal Service.

*Karen Marvel was recognized in Texas Monthly in 2008-2019 as a Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters service)

**Karen Marvel is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization