Family Law
Child Support
Child Support Collections
Child Custody

Are You Owed Unpaid Child Support?

Our Attorney Helped Write The Book On Enforcement And Collections

MARVEL & WONG, PLLC is a family law firm you can trust to help you collect the money you to which you are entitled. Karen Marvel, Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, is seen as an authority on child support law. In addition to litigating or testifying as an expert in numerous cases in front of the Texas Supreme Court, providing guidance in hearings and drafting notes for legislation involving support matters.

Child support is a legal obligation that must be paid, but the laws and the process regarding child support collections are very complicated. If you are owed money, you may have many questions. Provided below are general answers to some frequently asked questions, but you should only rely on the advice of a highly qualified attorney for your particular situation.

  • Does the other parent still owe the money even if his or her current financial situation makes it difficult to pay? Financial circumstances alone do not excuse individuals from their obligations. Child support payments can be modified based on a change in circumstances, but must be authorized or approved by a judge.
  • Can I still collect unpaid support if my child has turned 18? There is no time limit on collections. You can collect unpaid child support for children who are now adults.
  • Am I entitled to interest? Yes. You are entitled to the original unpaid amount plus interest.
  • What if the noncustodial parent refuses to pay the back support? Texas law authorizes the use of collection tools such as wage garnishment, property liens, driver’s license suspension, interception of tax refunds or lottery winnings, and even jail time.
  • Can unpaid debt get discharged through the bankruptcy process? No. Child support debt is not dischargeable under Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 for public policy reasons.
  • Can the noncustodial parent negotiate an out-of-court settlement? No. Texas law prohibits a parent from bargaining away their debt.

Have More Questions About Child Support? We Have Your Answers.

Contact MARVEL & WONG, PLLC if you have unpaid support you want to collect. Call our office at 210-201-1630 or send us an email with your information.

What Our Clients Say

Ms. Marvel has assisted me regarding child support issues for the last 3 years. She is very knowledgeable in child support issues in Texas and also across state lines such as California. She came highly recommended to me by a fellow attorney, the highest compliment she can receive in my opinion. She is professional, responsive and gets the job done. Her staff is very helpful, returns calls and Karen and her staff are responsive to issues that arise. I highly recommend Karen Marvel to anyone seeking a family law attorney in Texas.
Karen Marvel is an excellent family lawyer, who presented at a legal conference I attended. I learned valuable information and tools from her that I now use to help my own clients. After the conference, I've called on her a few times when I needed her expertise in child support matters, and she was always willing to help. She is extremely well-respected in our legal community, and I highly recommend her services.
I recently hired Megan to represent me in my divorce. She was very easy to work with, responsive, and efficient. I was extremely impressed with her timeliness and was overall very pleased with her work. I would recommend her if looking for a divorce attorney...
I was very pleased with Megan's performance in court. She has been a blessing in our lives and single handedly changed our lives for the better . It was a very difficult case on my end and was brilliant with negotiations with OAG. I will always be grateful to Megan and wish the best of luck in future cases...
When I needed a lawyer I asked my coworkers for their recommendations. Three of my coworkers recommended Brandon Wong and they were very satisfied with his services. I contacted Brandon and he handled my divorce in a timely and efficient manner...
I have felt so important to Brandon since the day we first met. I had a million questions and worries, Brandon made me feel informed of all possibilities and confident in him.
Meeting you and having your professional and emotional help during the process of my divorce has definitely been invaluable. In the professional aspect, you are not only a brilliant attorney but you are reasonable, just, and fair. During the process of my divorce I found myself completely...
Brandon represented me in a child custody matter. He is professional, educated, informative and provided his services in an economical manner. He worked to obtain a settlement outside of the courtroom. When the case required a visit to court, his experience guided me through smoothly and ultimately delivered the decision in my favor...
Please don't hesitate to hire Brandon Wong. He genuinely cares about his clients. He protects his clients, he returns calls and e-mails, which is critical when you are in a situation where you need an attorney...
I would recommend Mr. Wong for his professional services. He was very attentive to my case, returning phone calls and emails before the end of every business day...
Brandon handled my divorce in a first class manner. He was always available to talk when I had questions or needed advice. He was a relentless lawyer and ensured that the settlement was fair and just...
I highly recommend Mr. Wong if you are looking for an honest and hardworking attorney who is more interested in properly representing his clients than making a quick dollar...
We received excellent legal help from Brandon Wong. Our family had a custody issue that had us spinning our wheels for a year due to the complexity. Brandon handled our case quickly and with heart. We felt genuinely cared for during the entire process and will continue to recommend him to anyone who needs legal help...
Brandon handled my divorce and made it easier than I could have imagined. He took care of everything, totally minimized the stress on me, and was extremely professional while remaining very approachable and compassionate...
Hired Mr. Wong to represent me on a child-support arrears enforcement case. Dad was ordered to pay child-support in 1991, and up until my daughter turned 18 years of age...

Read All Client

Accolades & Achievements

Brandon, Karen, Megan Are Proud To Have Achieved The Following Legal Accolades for Exemplary Legal Service.

Board certified Texas board of legal specialization
Brandon Jen WongReviewsout of 41 reviews
10.0Brandon Jen Wong
Best Lawyers SA Scene

*Karen Marvel was recognized in Texas Monthly in 2008-2019 as a Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters service)

**Karen Marvel is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization