Cost-Effective Resolution Of Difficult Family Law Matters
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Parental Relocation

Parental Relocation Affects Custody And Visitation Rights

We live in a mobile society. It is common for families to pack up and move to another city or even state for many different reasons. Texas has long been a proud supporter of the United States Armed Forces. With Lackland AFB, Fort Sam Houston and other military installations in and around San Antonio, military relocation and deployment are a part of everyday life for many families.

Brandon Wong & Associates is a family law firm that is well-equipped to help you plan for potential parental relocation and address the issue in the present. Our lawyers have more than a decade of experience practicing family law in Texas. Brandon Wong & Assoc. has mastered the nuances of the law and dealt with many unique situations.

Geographic Restrictions In Your Custody Order

Child custody and visitation orders often include a geographic restriction. This term sets expectations and limitations on where the parents can live. You need to have a term that is neither too restrictive nor too broad and properly drafted to protect your rights. This is second nature for our attorneys.

Custody and visitation agreements can be creative. There are options for virtual visitation, shared transportation costs and much more when you live long distance apart from your child.

Relocating Affects Parental Rights

Neither parent can unilaterally modify a child custody or visitation agreement by moving with the children. The court will likely require you to seek permission prior to relocating if the proposed move violates the geographic restriction, especially if it is out of state.

We can help you obtain a temporary restraining order if the custodial parent attempts to move without permission from the court.

Want To Relocate Or Need To Challenge A Request? Contact Us Immediately.

Whether you want to move or if the other parent has made a request, we can help you navigate the situation effectively. We provide proactive advice about the steps you should take to protect your rights.

Schedule a initial consultation with a lawyer by calling our office at 210-201-1630 or completing a confidential form online.