Cost-Effective Resolution Of Difficult Family Law Matters
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Long-Distance Visitation

Dealing With Long-Distance Visitation

Deployments, job transfers and family medical issues, among other many other things, often have parents living miles or even states away from one another. How do you deal with long-distance visitation when you share custody of a child?

Many parents in San Antonio serve in the military or share custody with someone who does. We are proud to help these parents foster relationships with their children.

Brandon Wong & Associates is a family law firm that helps parents living across the country or serving overseas make long-distance visitation work. With more than a decade of experience in the field of family law, our lawyers know how to be creative.  Brandon Wong & Assoc. also understands exactly how to draft a workable agreement or resolve disputes under the law.

What Are Your Options In Long-Distance Situations?

Child custody and visitation rights are a serious matter in Texas. The courts prefer to have both parents involved in the child’s life. Whether through voluntary agreement or in court, the law leaves room for options, including:

  • Virtual visitation: You can leverage the power of technology to keep a regular or variable visitation schedule. You can use cellphones, Skype, FaceTime, private chat rooms and many other modes of communication.
  • Travel expenses: One parent does not have to shoulder the burden for expenses required to visit the child or let the child travel to his or her house. An agreement can include terms allocating the percentage of costs each parent will have the responsibility to pay.
  • Designated alternatives: Parents can designate a grandparent, sibling, or other family member or close friend as an alternative, visiting the child on their behalf.

The terms that define a long-distance agreement hold as much weight as if the parents lived in the same city. Refusing to let the child sign on, failure to pay for expenses or denying visitation with a designated third party all constitute violations of visitation rights and the agreement can be enforced in court.

Don’t Know How To Deal With Long Distance? We Can Help You Figure It Out.

If you have questions about long-distance visitation, please call our law firm at 210-201-1630 to schedule your initial consultation. You may also send us your information, and we will contact you.